Day 0 Review

Wake up around 10am after a late night preparing stuff on my laptop and phone. I debate the merits of technology – it may save a lot of time, but you also have to spend a lot sometimes to ensure that it will all work and that you have everything on it when you’re on the road. I smile as I realise that it’s my first day of my sabbatical and that the next three months I don’t have to think about work at all. After fourteen straight years of ever-increasing thinking of work, I’m pretty chuffed with myself at the decision I made back in December. My internal bank manager, frowning, is ignored as the rest of me gets in holiday mode.As the morning goes on, I begin to worry that I got too much to do. I decided last night to book a hotel overnight at the airport to avoid any rush or delays that navigating the M25 might cause, especially given the type of weather we’ve had recently. With no-one available to give me a lift to the airport, and as a train would be a hassle and not insignificant cost either, I decide to book a cab. Might as start the sabbatical in some style and comfort! That sorted, I meet a mate for hot chocolate with the works (“I invited you for coffee, not ice cream!”) and then go off and get a haircut. The hours soon rush by, and before I know it I’m hungry, still not packed, and have lots more things to sort out before the 9pm pick up.
Geri has realised that something is up, and that I might be going away. I think the suitcase gave it away, though she did consider diving in. In a desperate attempt to get me to stay, I find a dead mouse on my carpet. She must have gone out for more, as she rushes in again and looks at me to ask if I want further goodies. Confused, she watches as I grumble, wrap it up and throw it away, spoiling any potential playtime she had planned as a backup.
I look at my two suitcase I own and decide to take the smaller one, determined to fit everything in. Somehow I manage it. Result number 2: it’s not over 20kg. Worried that I’ve forgotten something, I resign myself to being finished and lug the case downstairs. Moments later, right on time, the taxi arrives and I bundle into the car. The night is quite clear, and the waning moon beams out high to my left as I leave home. Usually a friend, it may become my enemy in Norway if it dares to block out the Northern Lights. The driver’s a jolly chap, and although I’d prefer to relax and daydream quietly, he’s a talker. I realise that I should be socialable, and he turns out to be very nice. Credit crunch, holidays and footy pass the time and after what turns out to be a pleasant journey I’m at Terminal 4 in no time.
I open the door to my Yotel cabin, and almost hit my nose on the far wall; compact and bijou doesn’t even come close. Still, I knew this pod-style was like this when I booked, and the bed with the TV at the foot of it is pretty cool. Free wi-fi is utilised by my laptop, and I’m MSNing, Facebooking, emailing, iPhoning and surfing just like home. It’s good to get away.
This entry was posted in Timed Runs. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *